Tuesday, September 3, 2013

genius of Mayer

I love it when we critique celebrities, (who we don't even know) because they are supposed to be the moral compass for our country, children, or lives.  While there has been a lot said about particular celebrities recently, I wanted to turn my thoughts to John Mayer.  I am a fan.  Most of the time when I mention that, someone responds by saying something about the not-so-recent-scandal that he had.  Yes he said some foolish things to reporters and is maybe not the nicest guy at certain points in his life.  Isn't this the whole point of his fleeing to Montana for the sake of restarting?  Reference Shadow Days - by the way.  We don't like it when our foes become admirable.  We don't like it when people become real, particularly when they break out of the boxes we have so carefully placed them in.  Let me tell you a little bit about John.

He is a genius.  Not so sure?  Go watch him play.  This is his gift, his sanctuary, his place in the world. He was made for this.  While watching him in concert a few days ago the word that kept coming to my mind about his playing was that he 'wails'.  I also appreciate his range, musicality, stylistic creativity, and of course lyrics.   He is trying to say something and at the same time he manages to 'entertain' us along the way.  Why do we want geniuses to be everyday people?  Let Einstein have his crazy hair.

I was in the hospital room visiting with a church member.  Their child was very sick (those are the hardest visits).  The doctor came in and he had terrible bed-side manor.  The doctor walked out and I could tell that the mother was not comforted.  She wanted comfort and the doctor didn't give it.  Good thing I was there, I guess.  Here is what I said: "I want that doctor."  Why did I say that?  I told her that he was the kind of doctor that would get the job done.  He was a genius.  He probably spends all of his time thinking about science that he doesn't have the time to pick up on social cues.  This is the kind of doctor that I want when my child is sick.  I don't want a Jerry Seinfeld or a Santa Claus.  Give me the awkward genius every time.  This for me is John.  So gifted in his area that yes some other areas may lack.  It is these suspected 'deficiencies' as a person that I believe helps make him to be the artist that we love to hear.  Remember - if he walked up to you and had a cup of coffee, you would like him.  You may not just like all of his life choices.  Guess what - he probably won't like yours either.  But last time I checked, I am not a genius and you aren't probably either.

No comments:

Post a Comment