Tuesday, January 15, 2013

the fullness of His humanity

I am returning to my home this week from vacation and I need to face the task of putting away our Christmas decorations.  Yes, they are still up. I actually have an excuse this time because I wasn't home to put them away, but honestly, if I was - they would still be up.  

This Christmas, we learned how the story and message of Christmas is not something that should be put away just because we take the decorations down.  One theme that is emphasized almost every Advent is that God is our Immanuel - God with us.  One question that I want to search deeper at Tabernacle is, 'how much was God truly with us'?  

Our faith speaks of how Christ is both fully human and fully divine.  When we read the Gospels sometimes I feel we emphasize one over the other (depending upon the story).  The beauty of the Incarnation (the enfleshment of God) is that Jesus really does understand what we go through.  The writer of Hebrews puts it this way - 

“For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are —yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” Hebrews 4: 15-16 


Join us at Tabernacle for a time to think together around the temptation that Jesus faced. Maybe we too can discover God’s grace and mercy for our times of temptation and need. 



No comments:

Post a Comment