Wednesday, October 31, 2012

tough times



Any easy answer during a difficult time such as this is no answer at all.  However, I believe that a path forward is found as long as we move forward together.  Are we willing to be people who stand together during difficult times?  The highlight of my day today was found in a text message from a college-aged student that asked where she could serve.  She didn’t care where or what, but her first response was here I am – how can you use me?  

On September 9th 2012 I shared my 3rd Anniversary Sunday message with you.  I have come to appreciate this special day as part of our congregation because this serves as our ‘state of the union’ address.  This is the one Sunday when we not only celebrate our heritage, but look to the future.  If you didn’t get a chance to listen you can download at http://tumc.libsyn.com/anniversary-sermon

This year I set before us a challenge: to intentionally listen to our community.  Instead of rushing in and trying to put a program together to meet a need that isn’t there, I wanted us to pause, reflect, and listen to people’s stories.  This has to be done intentionally however and to make sure to engage with many in the act of sacred listening.  Well, it seems that our opportunity for not only listening is upon us.   We are surrounded by devastation, heartbreak, and loss after the wake of Hurricane Sandy.  This is an opportunity for us to be the people of God for those in need.  What will be our response now?  

No comments:

Post a Comment