Monday, July 2, 2012

dreamed of paradise

I still have dreams, they're not the same
They don't fly as high as they used to
I saw my friend, he's in my head
And he said, "You don't remember me, do you?" - John Mayer: Born and Raised


Normally, I don't like to comment upon music with another quote from music, but this one is just too good.  This past week we talked about the Woman at the Well (John 4: 4-26) in light of Coldplay's insight about a woman who dreams of paradise.  


"When she was just a girl
she expected the world
but it flew away from her reach
and she ran away in her sleep 
and dreamed of paradise." 


I wonder if our dreams begin to soar less because of the passing time or disappointment in our lives?  There is something that calls us to dream, but also life calls us into the reality of the moment where often our dreams are so far away it wouldn't even be productive to attempt to dream again.  We change as people.  We age, we become frustrated, or simply we just develop different priorities.  Our dreams do not fly as high as they used to.  We do not even remember who we once were or who we had hoped to be.  This is what life can do if we are not connected to the One who is life.  


I have come that they might have life, and have it to the full.


"When your memories exceed your dreams, the end is near." - Andy Stanley


Start dreaming again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment