Wednesday, January 18, 2012

moment for music.


So now that I am on vacation and have a little bit of time to write and think about random things, I wanted to share some of my favorite parts of music. This is not so much about the genre, but more some of my favorite parts of songs. These are just some of my random musings and ideas so take them for what they are. Here are a few songs (in no particular order or or importance) that must be in your iPod.

1. Ruby Tuesday
- the beginning part of this song is the BEST! I like the chorus and all, but that is not what makes it what it is. It is the first few lines. If you don't believe me, then watch the Royal Tenenbaums. Wes Anderson uses this to introduce a dialogue between two characters and the power is seen in just the few seconds of its use.

2. Neil Young's Philadelphia
- what else is there to say about this. Absolutely beautiful. The vocals are eery, painful, and beautiful all at the same time. Piano is simplistic and you can just picture him sitting there playing it. Love the whole thing, but as promised here is my favorite part: when he says, 'sometimes I think that I know what love's all about'.
3. Layla
- forget the guitar riff, the best part is the end where the piano kicks in. The supposed story about this song is that Clapton wrote it as a way to express his love to the woman he loved. Unfortunately, I believe this woman was George Harrison's wife. For me, I like to picture that this was his way to say something without saying it. The lyrics of the song may have communicated something, the piano part communicates something much deeper for me.

4. Under Pressure
- forget the riff that was borrowed by Vanilla Ice for his hit. The best part of this song is the bridge where the guitar kicks in and they almost scream 'why can't we give love one more chance'! That's just great.

5. Fly by Nick Drake
- the cello haunts me still. You will hear it as the introduction to the piece. If that doesn't get you, then the first line is 'please, give me second grace.' Perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment