Friday, September 28, 2012

little lady.

Everyone has a nickname.  Whether it is public knowledge or not...

I find it beautiful how nicknames get created.  A friend of mine from seminary perfected the art of nickname giving.  His nicknames always developed or grew for the person.  For example, one night I heard him call his wife Boba.  Her name is nothing close to anything like this so I asked, why do you call her Boba?

"Well", he said, "it started out as Baby, Babe, Bebe, Be, Bo, Bobo, Boba Fett, Boba."

I am sure we all have a nickname or terms of endearment for those we love.  My son is often called Sonny-Sonny or Buddy more often than his actual name.  So when my daughter was born it didn't take too long for my wife to give her a unique title - "little lady."  We were in the hospital still and I remember her saying it and liking it immediately.  I thought it might have been just a passing comment, but the more I hear it, I like it.  This is what she is to us.  I am sure this may not stick her whole life, but for now this is what expresses our love for her.

Do you think the same would be true with God and the relationship with us?  Certainly God knows our name, but I wonder if we are called something different in the quiet moments of intimacy with God.  God calls you ______.


"Your name shall no longer be Jacob, but Israel - for you have striven with God and man and have prevailed."        

No comments:

Post a Comment