Wednesday, May 23, 2012

John Mayer.

I dig John Mayer.  I love music.  Not a shock to the two of you who actually read this blog.  
(shout out.)


But what I really love is the connection that music makes with faith.  While some authors have no desire for an intentional connection, the truth is still there.  John Mayer just released his new album - "Born and Raised."  I considered using him as part of my Gospel and ___ Series, but in the past few years John became a bit more synonymous with being a jerk and saying stupid things rather than his incredible talent for writing and performing.  So he was put on the back burner.  Well... who knew that redemption would come to even John Mayer?  I am not speaking in the full salvific weight of the term (though one never knows...), but more so in his enlightenment as a human being.  This is clearly seen in his new style and album.  


John moved to Montana to get way for a while.  You can note his new Montana style in his hair, clothes, and even guitars.  Everything is stripped down, rustic, and free.  Born and Raised is similar in style.  Freedom has come to John and this is clear in his first single "Shadow Days".  (See Below for full lyrics).  
Isn't it fascinating that through retreat, John was able to find himself again?  Maybe he didn't 'find himself' but discovered who he was supposed to be for this time in his life.  As Christian, this act should not be foreign to us.  We are a people who, like our Savior, practice the spiritual discipline of solitude and silence.  We need to take the time to evaluate our souls, and in our busy world, we rarely take that chance.  Unfortunately the church has not helped this discipline because in order to get people to on the 'retreats' we fill them with fun activities that everyone will enjoy.  Instead of silence, prayer, reflection, and solitude, there is shopping, games, fellowship, and food.  I believe in the core principle of fellowship- don't get me wrong.  But when Jesus went off to pray, he went off to pray.  It wasn't about who was going with him, what they were going to do, or where they were headed.  John, like Jesus, just went off into the wilderness.  He came back a new person.  This is what happens when we take some time to take a good hard look at our souls.  We see our need for grace and live into this reality.
  
Shadow Days-

Did you know that you could be wrongAnd swear you're rightSome people been known to do itAll their livesBut you find yourself aloneJust like you found yourself beforeLike I found myself in piecesOn the hotel floorHard times have helped me see

I'm a good man, with a good heartHad a tough time, got a rough startBut I finally learned to let it goNow I'm right here, and I'm right nowAnd I'm open, knowing somehowThat my shadow days are overMy shadow days are over now


Well I ain't no troublemakerAnd I never meant her harmBut it doesn't mean I didn't make it hard to carry on
Well it sucks to be honest
And it hurts to be real
But it's nice to make some love
That I can finally feel
Hard times let me be

No comments:

Post a Comment