Monday, July 4, 2011

independence...

On this wonderful holiday where we celebrate freedom and independence as a nation, often the church takes this theme and tries to run with it. For instance, a sign down the road says, "Jesus can give you spiritual independence." While I believe this is true, and I understand what they are trying to say, I want to say that the opposite is also true. Jesus gives us spiritual dependency.

Now when we speak of freedom it is true to say that Jesus sets one free. But does that freedom separate one from a relationship of depending upon God? Does Jesus set one free then all of a sudden we don't need Him anymore? Certainly this is not the case.

This sunday at Tabernacle we are continuing with our Gospel and Tom Petty series where we will address this issue of depending upon God. Petty says, "I aint never gonna let you down, all you got to do is trust me.... I'm depending upon You. Don't let me down, I'm depending upon You." Our freedom comes with the freedom to choose Him each day.




No comments:

Post a Comment